FAQ #4 - How can I help?

Question: I have limited time and resources. I can't prioritize caring for the homeless, but I honestly feel like I want to be doing something. What can I do to help?

Answer: Start seeing the homeless people around you. They make a living out of being inconspicuous because that usually keeps them safe. Being "seen" tends to cause trouble in that they get arrested or kicked out of their comfortable places. Homeless people are easily overlooked. Overlooking homeless folks feeds into the social isolation aspect of the problem, which then leads to de-humanizing this vulnerable population.

Question: Aren't homeless people wary of overly-friendly strangers?

Answer: Totally. It can take multiple encounters with a persistent stranger for someone to feel comfortable responding positively. If you say Hello and offer a helping hand, they might even tell you their name. After a while, you might even get to hear their story. Until then you can offer food, or water, or, if you're comfortable with it, money*

**Safety note: say Hello from a distance and wave. Make eye-contact. Make sure they know you're coming. Read their body language and if they engage you, take a deep breath and talk to them like a person. BUT if their body language is stiff, or they look nervous, don't go any closer. Sometimes people on the street may be traumatized, actively hallucinating or tripping balls, or just scared. Walk away that day. The next time you see them, the encounter may be completely different.

Question: But won't they just use my money to get drunk or high?

Answer: If you're worried about your money buying drugs or alcohol, you can offer food, water or warm clothes. If you can trust that, as human beings, they will meet their own needs as best as they can, give them a dollar. One dollar isn't going to win or lose their fight against addiction or homelessness. If, in that moment, you want to relieve their suffering in one way or another, that's an honest deed.

I (Stephan) actually don't tend to give homeless people money. I keep a stack of business cards in my car with The Night Ministry phone number and information on it. Because I know the local resources, I will often say, "Hey, there's a meal at this local church" or I'll buy an extra hamburger. It's important to know, deep down, that you can't help everybody- no matter what you do. So decide on your personal comfort level and boundaries, stick to them, and know that you're doing the best that you can.

Comments

  1. I've decided to ask my subdivision for monthly donations: November, December, January, February I've requested gently used coats, hats, gloves and shoes.
    March, April and May will be requests for (hotel sized) soaps, shampoos, etc. I'll give them to Stephan to distribute.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FAQ #2 - Where do homeless people live?

FAQ #3 - Why don't people move South for the winter?